Thursday, October 23, 2008

I am..


I can hear them yelling and screaming even now…They cheer, they boo, they demand more blood. And yet I am the one placed with the title of a savage… a barbarian… uncivilized. They think I don’t understand such words. They believe I cannot speak. Heh, funny what people will choose to believe when one simply keeps their silence.

It’s almost my turn… My nerves are on edge and my senses heightened to their fullest. I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. My body begins to perspire as the adrenaline within me already begins to build. My breath comes steady as I close my eyes. I can smell the bitter scent of blood, sand and dirt. My thoughts and stillness overcome any fear that would attempt to invade. The men around me are trembling. One of them is so terrified that he is urinating on himself. I pity him.. He reminds me of an abused mutt. He’ll be among the first to die.

I hope it is a quick death. Fear is a handicap. It freezes your bones and cramps up your muscles. It only rarely can be put to any real use. When placed within your enemy. I have no use for it though. I refuse to bring forth such a miserable and pathetic death.
The cheers roar loudly once again. Those who’ve fought before us put on a good show it would seem. The people are pleased. Such a disgusting display of what human nature can become. My stomach churns with the thought of how cruel each and everyone of them are. Curse them. They’ve created what we are. We exist because they choose to have us continue on like this. We have no choice.. Fight or die.. This is all we have.

The cuffs on my wrists are removed. I could kill the man watching of us if I wished to with a simple movement. But I don’t. It isn’t his fault this evil game exists. He wouldn’t last a minute if ever told to participate. I open my eyes now. I’ll need them. I need every inch of me to be aware. And yet I know in the end I lose myself in it all. And I will not return until its over. And yet if I fail to make it to the end.. I won’t be coming back at all. I do not fear death for it is a glorious thought to die in the midst of battle. And yet that is not the reason why I do not fear it. It simply is not something to fear. On the contrary its something to embrace. Oh, what an adventure and trial it would be! Its one I wish to take someday. Not today though. Nor the day after. So long as Cesar gives me a sword and shields my body with even the worst of his armor, I will fight. I will kill. And I will live. With only the memories of my past before this life to keep me company.

No.. My life was not always filled with death and the need to live. The life I have now should not even be called as such. This is not life.. It is survival.. And even then I think it’s a poor excuse to live. And yet I do. For I am filled with far too much pride to allow anyone to simply take my life. But the memories before this.. Then I truly lived. And perhaps one day when my arms are too weak and my freedom is granted I shall see but a piece of that life again. Though it is a fools hope to believe in such things. I shall surely die before that time comes. But I simply refuse to lay down my weapons and wait to be slaughtered. I believe it to be my pride that keeps me this way. I am no animal to be murdered before the public. If I am to be killed may it be in the glory of combat!

The gates are opening.. I can hear the sound of some sort of chained weapon being swung around and around at ready to take the life of any fool that would happen to run out blindly. My heel lightly taps each time the end of the weapon comes around. I hated these sort of men. They had no sense of honor. The smell of sweat was beginning to irritate me so it was a relief to feel the dry gust of fresh air as finally the gates swung open. I knew who I would kill first.. That disgraceful honor less excuse of a human waiting to take lives unfairly right at the entrance of the gate. It is time. We charge. Some yell and howl out their native battle cries, others simply scream in pure terror. Not more than a fiew seconds go by and already three have already been killed. Blood splatters upon my helm and soaks into my skin as I cut away at my enemy’s. I’ve already beheaded the honor less coward at the gate. A quick death.. Not one he deserved. But I have no time. I never remember how many they are, how many I’ve killed. What would the point be I wonder? They’ll only be more. Their faces once haunted me in my dreams. I could remember their screams and see the images of their blood being spilt at my hand. No longer though… With time the terror of murdering dies within you heart and only the will to live dominates.

It is ending, there aren‘t many of us left. I have killed my opponents and am weary. But we’re not quite done. The last of our enemy is very strong. A veteran at taking lives. The grim reaper of our kind. Not for long I think. Two men charge at him. “No you fools! Do not take him on directly! Damn!”. I run as fast as I can after them from another angle. I am too far away to reach them in time to help much less save them. But it was their choice… And I will use it. Both were struck down in two clean blows of the reapers twisted bloody blade. I wonder if he himself fears the death he brings with such ease.. I leap into the air as he spun around to face me. His eyes wide. I cannot see his face for it is masked but still through the slits I can see his surprise. Such acrobatics are not expected in a battle of life and death. He is aware now and shows no sign of expecting to lose. He does not believe me capable of claiming his life. I yell out each time my sword collides with his twisted and deformed blade. I have never seen such a weapon before. It was made for him certainly. Made to inflict the most pain possible. To humiliate its victims as it butchers their flesh. To die by this ones blade would give me no pride. I will not die. Are weapons continue to collide one blow after the other. My arm is tiring fast. He is much too strong to defeat in this manner. I need to think quickly. And so I retreat in hopes that the dolt will follow. And he does. I don’t run very far for his pace would risk slowing if he saw he could never truly catch up. And I need his speed. I need him to be clumsy. He’ll make a mistake. In fact he already has. Now! I suddenly come to a halt and spin around, dropping to my knees feeling as his blade missed my head by mere inches. I hold my arms out firmly as I thrust my blade into his belly. The idiot didn’t use armor that protects there. My blade slides in with ease for the only think stopping it was fat and lard. I growl as my arms suddenly feel the pressure of the dying reapers weight. I haven’t the strength to hold him up so I twist my sword free tearing open his oversized belly and rolled out of the way. Down fell the dying killer, and it was done.

The people suddenly burst out in cheers and begin to chant. It isn’t my name though.. I can hardly remember my name. It is merely a title and I care little for it. Still panting for air my eyes avert from my fallen victim to my surroundings. Four.. Only four lived this time. Two will die tonight from blood loss and I cannot see the other very well but it would seem if he fought again he would surely die due to inexperience and his current wounds. Now I close my eyes again. My brow furrowed as I escape once more into my thoughts. Blocking out the cheers and yells and drums of my surroundings. I calm my breath and allow my senses to numb.

I am in the fields again. The smell of metallic blood is replaced with that of dew and grass. The air is warm and the sun has begun to set. A gentle breeze brushes through my hair and kisses my skin. Slowly, very slowly I think of home. But before I can see my humble refuge upon that hill at the distance, I am shaken back into reality. They’re taking me back…

The cheers are now muffled by the underground walls. My eyes hold a cold stare. I know this because not even those who held me prisoner dare look into them. I am sitting now… Staring straight forward and contemplating what I’ve become. I shall never be who I once was again. But this is to be expected… I am strong.. I am ruthless.. I am a killer and survivor.. I am Gladiator.

No comments: